Sunday 11 August 2013

Vegetarian Tonight? Not if I'm a Working Mum Who Cooks!

It's Saturday and, even though for the last and the next three weeks every day is a Saturday, it's special. For that reason, there was no way that battered courgette (you know courgettes, the big green things, long or round) with homemade chilli sauce would do. So, I took Baby Big Gal (at her request henceforth to be called Booboo Big Gal) to her first party and sent Husband#1 to swimming lessons with Biggie and then to Sainos. Half way through I sent a text message suggesting certain treats, but also healthy options thus letting him choose - a guilt passed on is a guilt not felt etc.

Predictable as always, Husband#1 returned with treats galore.

So we ate scallops in a garlic butter, cooked by the man himself, which were very tasty...


These delights were followed by the courgettes, which weren't made totally panic free as I'd forgotten to make the sweet chilli sauce (a doddle, boiling chillies, garlic, rice wine vinegar, white wine vinegar, due to shortage of rice wine vinegar, sugar and water for about 20 minutes - I blended then, but no need). Once done, I made a batter from plain flour, iced water, salt, white pepper and one egg and then dipped in 1cm thick pieces of courgette before frying at about 180' - other words, quite high!

When eaten fresh out of the fryer, these were crispy and yet soft inside. Just right, we thought! The chilli sauce was just that...


Finally we went back to a bad old friend: chocolate bark. How bad can that be? At least one portion of fruit each :-)



On a side note, it's always a delight to give pizza to my beauties, tonight more so as I'm told that tomato purée does indeed constitute one of your five-a-day, useful as I had no jarred roasted peppers to add in as I usually do.


So it's back to the caravan tomorrow and, after pizza for tea tomorrow, I then have the following to use for meals:

Squid
Octopus
Two cucumbers

Am looking forward to the challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment