Saturday 17 August 2013

The Seafood Festival, Death by Lemon and Other Stories

Sat happily in Redcliffe Farm Café, eating a lovely steak pie and chips, suddenly Biggie screamed and looked in horror at her fish and chips (MUCH improved batter - well seasoned this time!). As we all looked over, trying not to drop our respective chip (me), slice of black pudding (Husband#1) spoonful of tomato ketchup (Booboo), there was the fly. Sat on the side of Biggie's plate. Not on her fish, chips or sauce, but the side of her plate. Well what happened next was a hilarity I only realised about 30 minutes later when suddenly the giggles hit me and I laughed until I cried for a good ten minutes over my banana split. Husband#1, instead of shooing the fly away, like most (I feel) would have done, attacked it with a piece of lemon. Did he hit it? I hear you ask. No. He squeezed lemon juice on it and then scooped it up and knocked it off the table in a very half-witted fashion, which, as I mentioned not very long ago, sent me into a fit of laughter which caused Biggie to laugh hysterically as well, even though she didn't have a clue what she was laughing about. Lemon, the deadly fly killer. One of our greatest jokes is who we would be if on gladiators. I would be Sloth, ("Tonight, Jenny, you are fighting.........Slooooooooooth!" Fash would shout). Husband#1 would be Lemonman.

Anyway, delightful as always, we left the farm and went to the beach where ever jokey Husband#1 put erroneous messages on my facebook whilst dipping my toes in the sea - how did you know, he wondered? It was probably due to the fact that he was sat playing with my pink phone that tipped me off. And you wonder why the #1?

So tea last night was an Ina classic of mustard fish - you'll find the recipes online, but we tried 50% reduced fat crême fraiche rather than full fat. It was nice, served with crushed new potatoes mashed with olive oil. All cooking was by Husband#1 - I have to give him credit.

Today I started with toast, as no one would have porridge with me, but the humous and pesto wrap (chosen by Biggie, who then cried throughout eating) made up for it. I bet Booboo set a wrap eating record - I've never seen a small child eat so quickly.

After a short while at the festival, where we had some crab, badly hewn from the shell by a kindly little lady, we put together the ingredients for Barefoot's seafood gratin - having had to visit two supermarkets. Would you believe that Morrisons in Bridlington don't sell saffron? Goodness me. But it was me cooking tonight, and as I've mentioned before I don't often do well with Ina (Husband#1 would marry her could he get to Geoffrey), but her seafood gratin is divine.



Finally, maybe you can't get saffron at Morrisons in Bridlington, but you can get these beauties (by Monty Bojangles) there. I have never tasted anything so delicious. Cocoa so dark on the outside (I HATE dark chocolate), melting truffle sprinkled full of lovely butterscotch pieces. I think Husband#1 loves me a little bit more for having found these.

No comments:

Post a Comment