Monday 26 August 2013

I Was a Girl in a Village Doing Alright, I became a Princess Overnight....

Monday, 26th August 13:30 (pre-soup)

If I spend anymore time with Husband#1, I may go mad. He is running round the house in his dressing gown singing the theme tune from Sophia the First, whilst Biggie and Booboo sit square eyed in from of the blooming programme. He has always been easily taken in by twee children's TV. Sophia is the most morally upright and annoying princess I have ever heard of and as a result she is dull. Children's TV does vary, admittedly, but who can resist Josie Jump or Archie from Balamory? Indeed, I challenge you to look at Miss Hooley and not return her smile when she invites you to join the fun too! Mickey Mouse Club House - annoying, but I can't resist Hot Dog, Hot Dog, Hot Diggedy Dog and the gals dance to it a treat. Doc McStuffins? Precocious. Dora The Explorer just gives badly translated cultural misinformation: "When we want someone to move out of  the way, we say 'Please.'" Not in England, Dora. We say "Move." Finally, an old favourite in the Madhouse is Peppa Pig. Peppa is spoilt and George is naughty, nothing can save them, but Daddy Pig reminds me of someone, pompous, useless at DIY but generally loved by all. Who could it be? As for Mummy Pig's inability to resist a challenge? Brilliant. She rules.

Anyway, I think I'd better move on from here and warm the Coquina Squash soup I made this morning, whilst ironing - yes, it is true, I can multitask. That the girls clothes are already covered in soup before they have even gone in the wardrobe for wearing is a point I'll just keep quiet.



Monday, 26th August, later (post-soup)

Well the soup had a mixed reception. Biggie claimed to like it but took her time, whilst Booboo was still eating an hour later. Husband#1 had seconds and that's what counts. If grown ups would like it, I'm happy. At least then if the girls are tolerating it their tastes may develop. It was easy to make. First I peeled and chopped two large coquina squashes into about 2cm squares. I rubbed these in olive oil and salt and put into a hot oven (200*) until cooked and browned. It took about 30 minutes and I did it in two batches. Then I sautéed an onion, a teaspoon of ground cumin and three cloves of chopped garlic before adding the squash and about a litre and a half of vegetable stock. I brought it to the boil and simmered for about ten minutes and allowed it to cool a little before blending. At that point you can add more water to make less thick, depending on what you like -  I found ours was too thick. But it was lovely, and cheap. The squashes cost £3.00, and everything else is really store cupboard. I've fed four of us today and have frozen a further three meals for Husband #1 and I for later. I suppose you could also add cream or similar, but it really didn't need it.

This evening we have had BBQ, lovely as ever - nice and simple too. The gals love playing outside and it's nice that we're all out there together. We just had burgers, sausages and sweetcorn, and of course there was French's mustard, Ketchup and BBQ sauce to go on the buns. Two things to remember for next time:

  1. Defrost the burgers in plenty of time to avoid a necessary reformation as they all fall apart and stick together.
  2. Prevent Husband#1 starting a fire next to the BBQ, especially with greenery - the smoke will force you out of the garden and prevent the compulsory toasting of marshmallows.

No comments:

Post a Comment