Monday 12 August 2013

Holidays (Part II)

And the holidays continue, this week we're at the coast and that brings in the exciting plans for seafood of all kinds. When we were here a few weeks ago, we bought and froze some octopus (a family holiday herm*, so we have that opportunity) and I'm pretty sure that this will become a meal at some point - probably cooked until tender and then covered in cayenne and smoked paprika and served with some kind of patatas bravas. There will also be lobster mac and cheese, courtesy of Ina Garten, a great inspiration for Husband#1.

Lunch today proved a hit with all - smoked mackerel paté with bagels and homegrown cucumber (a few weeks down the line we'll be able to have homegrown tomatoes as well, but for now shop bought will have to do). The paté is really easy - I get a pack of smoked mackerel (one fillet per person?), cut out the central part with the bones and chop in a bowl with a pot of (lowest fat) cream cheese, the juice of a lemon and, if I have them, chopped chives. Sometimes I deviate and buy a pack of smoked salmon, especially when it's on special offer and chop that in instead. I love the fact that my gals love fish. What would I do in an alternative life? Just conjuring up pictures of the Malcolm in the Middle where Lois and Hal ponder life with girls...not worth thinking about!



For tea, the gals have had (Sir) Rick Stein's chicken (with chorizo) and leeks and carrots in a cider sauce - a great freezer meal and, reminded how much I like it, I'll be making another large pot full for the freezer in the next few weeks. It's a healthy meal as well, especially if you miss out the chorizo, as I've done for the gals and for a midweek tea - surely one only eats a spicy sausage at the weekend?!



Husband#1 and I had a trio of lovely salads. First of all, a (homegrown) cucumber salsa, the recipe idea I pinched from the Taste of Home website. I chopped cucumber, tomato, onion, green pepper, garlic, coriander, half of a chilli and added a tablespoon of lime juice. It was so fresh - I left it for an hour in the fridge to marinate. Then we had crab with tomato and basil in a balsamic dressing - so simple. I took a whole crab (already dressed by Arthur's of Flamborough) and mixed with chopped tomatoes, basil, half a white onion, chopped finely, and then added a dessert spoon of balsamic vinegar and extra virgin olive oil. It tastes so much more decadent than it is. And finally, hand-squashed guacamole - two avocados chopped up by Husband#1 and mixed with lemon juice.  All served with toasted pitta. It felt really luxurious but was actually reasonably cheap for a holiday/weekend tea but also healthy. These delights followed a nutty starter - we recently discovered wasabi and soy covered almonds, and have become a little addicted. Can't be too bad for you?


The Lovely Trio


On a serious note, I must stop drinking so much on a night. Not one to drink midweek when I'm working, I can easily down four glasses of red on a Friday in the time it takes to eat half a pizza and Saturday is similar. I like wine with food. If I drink, I like to eat. If the food stops, I'm not much bothered for more booze. Unfortunately during the holidays there's always time to eat, hence my glass is always at least half full!

And completely off topic, though there is a tenuous food link if you want to find one...I came away with no swimming costume this week. I have two very nice ones at home, both with hidden tummy control, but like the idiot I am, everyone else had at least two in their bin liners (had bed bugs once, suitcases will never be attractive to me) and I had none. A comfortable size 16, didn't we all have a good laugh about how to fashion some thing from bra and big pants, a pair of Husband#1's 'underwears' as Biggie likes to call them, or even a well pinned blanket. All in the name of covering Mummy's 'jelly'. So we toddled into the nearest town, tried all of the decent-enough shops - well, I chickened out of going into Bon Marché, having seen a swimming costume on sale that looked like it was still alive. There were only two (2) swimming costumes in the whole of the place, one, from M&S, which was sized for the bosom rather than the ass. What about those with small breasts and large asses or vice versa? I couldn't risk it so took the Kelly Brook branded size 14 from New Look and hope I could squeeze. Pretty little thing and a very flattering cut - but, Kelly, you've forgotten that most of us curvy ladies need tummy control...Anyway, whilst trying to cook tea and stop the gals battering each other as Husband#1 has introduced them to wrestling (just what they need), didn't I notice my swimming costume was also made for someone a good deal younger and slimmer than me. I'll look a great sight at the swimming pool. Maybe I should become a Working Mum Cuts (Salad, Fruit and Vegetables)?

Never!








No comments:

Post a Comment