Wednesday 7 August 2013

101 Emails and Counting

Since I finished work for a well-earned holiday, I have received over 100 emails - blooming ridiculous and quite stressful as someone has to reply to them and deal with them - who is it? Me. Oh well. One day all of my hard work will pay off.

In the meantime, I try to relax and enjoy my gals, husband#1, bloggery and most of all, cooking.

Trying to cook on something of a budget hasn't really worked so far, but I'm trying. Yesterday I popped into the butchers (Allum's in Normanton) and bought a few bits and pieces:

Firstly I saw the fillet steak, which I haven't made in ages, and decided to introduce my gals to rare meat. Planned for the weekend, it got no further than 6pm when we all had it, coated in olive oil, Maldon Sea Salt, browned on all sides and oven roasted for about 8 minutes. I let it rest for 10 minutes under foil before it was given the sending off it deserved with homemade chips (which bizarrely turned out half white and half brown) and garlic and lemon mayo. This was all preceded by corn on the cob for the gals and asparagus with more garlic and lemon mayo for us. I'll think about what we'll eat on Saturday later.

Secondly there was some stewing lamb, so I bought it and made a lovely tagine in the slow cooker today. In a sauce of two tins of tomatoes, enough stock to cover and some Ras el Hanout (I added extra cumin, paprika and a cinnamon stick), I cooked the lamb, carrots, courgettes, onions and peppers on a medium heat - when we got home from a lovely trip out it was all beautifully cooked. Served with couscous made simply with water, salt and extra virgin olive oil, it was healthy and quite tasty good job as there is plenty for the freezer :-).

Anyway, lunch today was at Friends of Ham in Leeds - we had the meat and cheese sharing platters and they were so good, with salami with fennel seeds and cured pork belly with rosemary and then a beautiful goat's cheese and a brie, they just had to be accompanied by a large glass (or two in my case) of Malbec. Wow.

So tomorrow we'll be cutting the first of the globe courgettes so I may have more to say then...

No comments:

Post a Comment