Wednesday 21 November 2012

Sore throat aside, the week hasn't gone well in terms of food. Husband #1 and I have eaten as planned but have supplemented this with a diabetic load of crisps, sweets and now, ice cream.

Last weekend was the annual 'parents' tea and I think it went well. Started with prawn and spring onion fritters, from (sir) Rick Stein's Spanish book, accompanied by lots of saucission, gherkins, giant capers and asparagus. They were nice and will be had again. The main course was a confit duck tart, which I'm delighted to say was a treat, topped with lovely potatoes and a just set shallotty and garlicky egg mix. With that I made roasted shallots (Ina style!) and cavalo nero, working mum style with caramelised garlic. Yummy!



For pudding, another newby - jam roly poly, steamed in my very own home-fashioned steamer but served with Sainos TTD custard - when I looked at the price of the eggs I had to buy, it seemed silly not to take the cheaper option, and though I do love homemade custard, the homemade Jam Roly Poly didn't lose out!


So to Sunday morning and queue cinnamon French toast followed by all you can eat Chinese buffet. Oh dear!

So it's nearly the weekend again and I have to say I'm still getting more Nigellaesque in size (sorry Nigella, I think I'm doing you a disservice there, I think you are almost workingmumesque in size at this stage. What to eat on Friday and Saturday? Pizza Friday, but after two weeks of chicken, caramelised onion and pepper I think something else needs a turn. Maybe it's time for salami and jalapeno? It's too cold for vegetarian options, even a full cheese. For Saturday I'm looking for a lamb curry recipe, something dry and unsaucy to go with raita and nan bread. I may then of course do a cauliflower curry in a sauce to accompany. Yummy.......

https://twitter.com/WorkingMumCooks
http://facebook.com/recipe.mccookingseasy

No comments:

Post a Comment