Saturday 15 December 2012

Hibernation? 10 Minutes Sleep Would Be Good.

Things in life just now are disorganised to say the least, so to emphasis that I'll start this post with a picture of the Gals pizza:
Chicken with Roasted Red Pepper
So, working extra hard and extra late on Wednesday was fine as Husband #1 was cooking a three course extravaganza and would greet me at the door with a large glass of red wine as I arrived home at some ungodly hour after 9pm. Whatever. Someone had different ideas: OFSTED.

So I had to buy (out of my own money) my own tea. And worse still I had to get Husband #1's favourite takeaway (the expensive version) and extra treats and snacks to 'sooth' his troubled being. I got home at 10pm. The takeaway was delicious, I have to say, though and I also enjoyed the many extra treats and it was well worth it to have bought a couple of Cobra beers.

So since my tough day on Wednesday I have also been a single parent. It's tough, but hey I don't have to do it all the time so I can cope. Husband #1 and I will never spilt up, no matter how I joke as we wouldn't be able to agree over the children. Neither of us could cope alone :-).

And forward to Saturday. I don't remember much in between except that Baby Big Girl has regressed and had two 'night feeds' - wow. (Just what you need in the middle of the night just having done a 17 hour day and the day before OFSTED.) Tonight the parents are coming for tea as a thank you for the ridiculous bed building event of last week. For the first time in months I'm doing REAL cooking with my own recipes and everything! We are having saucisson, giant capers, gherkins and cavalo nero stir fried with caramelised garlic for the starter, followed by a smoked haddock and black pudding risotto with leeks and a poached egg. For dessert, I'm experimenting for Christmas: a white chocolate and lemon mousse (last year I may have called it Panna Cotta).

All I did was melted two bars of Green and Black's white chocolate in 600ml double cream and then added 4 tsp of lemon curd. Today I've made four separate ramekins but on boxing day it will all go into one bowl and get scooped out. It tastes lovely and has indeed set. I'll see what it's like when we eat it - but I think it's be good for Boxing Day and the gluten free sister.

White Chocolate & Lemon Mousse

I'll update with the risotto when it's done. Cross fingers!
Smoked Haddock, Black Pudding & Leek Risotto with Poached Egg
 



No comments:

Post a Comment